Construction accidents can lead to serious injuries and even death. An Augusta construction accident lawyer can help you recover compensation for your injuries or for the death of a loved one.
An Augusta personal injury lawyer from Barrios Virgüez Attorneys can help guide you through the legal process and recover money for your injuries if you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a construction accident.
Why Are Construction Accidents so Dangerous?
More than 20% of workplace deaths are related to construction accidents, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Construction accidents can happen due to working in a construction zone or even being outside and hit by a falling object. Here are some additional reasons construction accidents are dangerous:
- Heights: Falling-related accidents are caused by working at heights. Keep an eye on your surroundings while working. Roofs, ladders, and scaffolding can be faulty, resulting in a worker being injured without fault.
- Dust: There is always demolition and working with old materials and buildings for construction workers. Apart from asbestos, workers are also vulnerable to inhaling dust.
- Accidental impact: Manual labor is more prevalent in the construction industry than in most other fields. Heavy machinery and dangerous equipment are also used in construction.
- Vibrating objects: It can be very difficult to work with vibrating tools. Workers who regularly use vibrating machinery for a long time may suffer from Hand-arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS).
- Loud noises: When you work with loud noises, you develop industrial or occupational deafness.
For a free legal consultation with a construction accidents lawyer serving Augusta, call 678-888-2222
Common Construction Accident Statistics
While construction accidents are common in Georgia and across the country, there are some things you should know about construction accidents and common statistics to keep in mind.
- Every seven seconds, a worker is injured on the job, according to the National Safety Council (NSC). Construction made the list among the top five most dangerous industries to work in.
- Statistics released by the Bureau of Labor (BLS) in 2018 show that serious workplace injuries have decreased in all industries. Despite this, construction workers’ statistics weren’t all positive.
- Every year, one out of ten construction site workers is injured, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there are approximately 150,000 accidents at construction sites annually.
Augusta Construction Accident Lawyer Near Me 678-888-2222
Severe and Catastrophic Injuries Caused by Construction Accidents
When a construction worker is involved in an accident, they are likely to suffer severe and catastrophic injuries. Some of the common injuries that result from construction accidents include:
- Head and skull injuries
- Concussions, contusions, and other traumatic brain injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Crushing injuries
- Electrocutions and electrical injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Permanent nerve damage
- Loss of limbs or amputations
- Soft tissue damage
- Burn injuries
- Severe scarring and disfigurement
- Cuts, punctures, and lacerations
- Facial and eye injuries
As you can see, there are many different types of injuries that victims of construction accidents may sustain. Therefore, fully healing from their injuries can take weeks, months, or even years. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that some construction accident victims never completely recover and must instead learn to cope with their new way of life.
Talk to an Augusta construction accident attorney today.
Common Causes of Construction Accident Injuries
Construction workers can get hurt in many different ways on the job, but a few types of accidents are frequently cited. Among the most common construction accidents are:
- Falls: Scaffolding, rooftops, or ladders are often used by construction workers to reach high places.
- Falling objects: Falling tools, building materials, scaffolding, or other supplies can injure workers if they land on them.
- Electrocutions: During construction, wires are often exposed, electrical systems are unfinished, and power lines are downed.
- Burns or explosions: The exposed wires may still spark explosions or fires even if they do not electrocute anyone. The threat of gas leaks is also similar.
- Falling and slipping: Workers often trip over extra materials, tools, and debris at construction sites.
- Machinery accidents: Besides large and/or dangerous machinery, construction workers may also be required to operate smaller power tools like nail guns and drills.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Construction Accident Compensation Works
A construction worker knows that their job entails some risk. It does not mean that getting injured is a given. Construction workers’ compensation benefits may be available if injured on the job. You may be entitled to compensation benefits if injured in a construction accident in Augusta.
Even if you contributed to your construction accident, you still have a right to compensation. Workers’ compensation provides no-fault insurance. You are entitled to benefits unless you engage in willful misconduct, such as fighting. Talk to a construction accident lawyer in Augusta, GA, today.
What to Do After a Construction Accident Has Occurred
Following a construction injury, you should follow certain steps to ensure you’re properly cared for and compensated, regardless of your situation.
Consult a Doctor
A construction accident injury should be treated medically as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, this is very important. Many serious injuries don’t manifest symptoms until hours or days afterward.
Inform Your Employer
Your employer needs to be informed of the accident as soon as possible after you have addressed any immediate health concerns. Many states require employees to report accidents within a specific period.
If you have been injured in an accident, you should gather as much information as possible. You will be compensated promptly if you provide all of this information. You should gather the following information:
- Information about the witnesses: Ask for contact information from witnesses if there were any. Don’t press the witness for the information if they seem reluctant.
- Pictures of the damaged scene: If possible, the accident scene should be photographed. The photographs will prove this, especially if you lack the necessary safety equipment and your employer fails to provide it.
- Medical records: To receive accurate compensation down the road, you must keep track of all your medical expenses.
- Employer correspondence: Your employer’s written correspondence should be kept in a folder. Additionally, write down any correspondence with your employer regarding the accident or your injuries.
Names and Pictures
You may not be able to obtain photos of the accident scene or the names of any witnesses if you have been injured in a construction site accident. A co-worker should be able to assist you in those situations.
To document the unsafe condition, a few cell phone photos can help immensely. If you cannot write down witnesses’ names and addresses, ask a coworker to do so.
The investigation must be conducted quickly to ensure a thorough result. Witnesses can be influenced by external factors such as fear of repercussions and their memories fading.
Speak with a Construction Accident Attorney in Augusta, GA
If you are injured in an accident, your priority should be to receive medical attention. By doing all the necessary paperwork and investigation, an experienced construction accident attorney in Augusta, GA, can help you achieve a successful outcome in this case.
A competent and professional law firm can handle your case so you can concentrate on getting better.
How Much Is My Construction Accident Claim Worth?
One of the first questions clients often ask our construction accident attorneys at Barrios Virgüez Attorneys is, “How much is my construction accident claim worth.” While this is a wonderful question, it is important to point out that determining how much your claim is worth depends on the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.
Every person’s compensation amount is different. However, our team will work with accountants, doctors, and other professionals to develop an appropriate amount to help you pay for your losses and get your life back on track again. The following are some of the common losses that our clients claim for construction accidents:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of companionship
- Pain and suffering
- Disability and disfigurement
- Emotional and mental trauma and distress
- Inability to ever work again
Other factors that your attorney will consider when determining how much your construction accident claim is worth are your age, health, the severity of your injuries, your employment status, and more.
How Can a Construction Accident Attorney Help with My Case?
After being injured in a construction accident, you deserve answers and compensation for your injuries. Therefore, if you hire a construction accident attorney, you can rest assured knowing that they will fight for your right to maximum compensation and ensure that the responsible parties are held accountable for their actions. These are a few of the ways that a construction accident lawyer will assist you with your case:
- They will thoroughly investigate your construction accident and determine what exactly happened to cause the accident and who is responsible.
- They will gather evidence to support your claim. This includes photographs and video surveillance footage.
- They will find eyewitnesses to give testimonies about what happened during your accident.
- They will hire expert witnesses with experience in construction and the medical field to explain your injuries and how negligence led to your accident.
- They will speak with responding officers about your accident.
- They will look at the construction equipment to identify any defects or malfunctions that could have caused the accident.
- They will communicate and negotiate with insurance companies.
- They will prepare a strong case and plan to go to court if necessary.
Contact an Augusta Construction Accident Lawyer Today
A personal injury attorney is the best resource for victims of construction accidents due to the complexity of their cases. A construction accident lawyer in Augusta will use decades of experience to help guide you through the legal process and obtain the compensation you need.
Receiving compensation for damages incurred due to a construction accident is possible.
Get a free case evaluation from Barrios Virgüez Attorneys. If you are entitled to compensation, they will do everything they can to help you claim it.