If you or a loved one have been injured, contact Barrios Virgüez as soon as possible. After we evaluate the facts, our attorneys will indicate the best way to present a case and obtain compensation for your loss.
Keep in mind that you will not be responsible for any costs associated with your accident or personal injury, nor for the legal services offered by our attorneys. Our team of qualified Augusta personal injury lawyers is here to help you get through some of the most difficult times in your life.
How does the Personal Injury Claims Process in Augusta Work?
The personal injury claims process is often intimidating and overwhelming for people who are still recuperating from their injuries. However, once you understand how the process works, you may feel more empowered and confident in your decision to seek justice for your damages.
With that in mind, it is important to remember that every personal injury claim is different. What works for one family may not work for yours. However, to give you a general idea of what to expect from the claims process, here are some of the most important steps your personal injury claim could take from start to finish:
- Hire a personal injury lawyer in Augusta to take on your case
- Your attorney begins investigating the cause of the accident
- Through the investigation, your attorney gathers evidence to support your case
- Your lawyer analyzes your damages to calculate the value of your claim
- In reviewing the evidence, insurance claims may be filed
- Negotiations with the insurance company may commence
- If insurance negotiations fall through or are unsuccessful, your attorney will prepare to bring your case before a judge and jury
- At trial, it will be time to fight for maximum compensation for your damages
For a free legal consultation with a Personal Injury lawyer serving Augusta, call 678-888-2222
Cause and Fault in Augusta Personal Injury Cases
There are countless ways in which injuries can occur. However, for you to have a personal injury claim on your hands, someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions must be the cause of your injuries. There are some types of events, accidents, and incidents seen more frequently in Augusta civil courts. Some of these include:
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Trampoline accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Work injuries
- Construction accidents
- Accidents caused by product malfunctions
- Dog bites
- Premises liability cases
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Birth injuries
The type of accident or incident that caused your injuries will give your personal injury attorney in Augusta a better idea of who could be responsible for causing your injuries. This party can then be compelled to compensate you for every way your life has been turned upside down by your injuries.
Parties You Could Sue
For example, if you were involved in a collision with a commercial truck, there are several parties who could share fault, such as:
- The owner of the truck
- The truck driver
- Other negligent drivers
- The trucking company
- Dram shops
- Auto parts manufacturers and distributors
- Truck dealerships
- Safety inspectors
- Truck maintenance technicians
- Cargo loaders
- Other third parties
This is just one example of some of the parties who could share liability for your injuries if you were involved in a commercial truck accident.
However, depending on the type of accident that caused your injuries, there could be countless other individuals and entities who could be at fault. For this reason, it will be essential for your attorney to conduct an in-depth investigation into your personal injury in Augusta.
Augusta Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 678-888-2222
Georgia Personal Injury Laws Impacting Your Case
There are multiple personal injury laws in Georgia that could have an impact on your ability to seek compensation in an Augusta personal injury claim. Some of the most important personal injury laws you need to be aware of include:
- The statute of limitations for personal injury claims is just two years
- Georgia operates under a modified comparative negligence system, allowing injury victims to recover compensation for the damages despite sharing liability, as long as their portion of fault does not exceed 49%
- Georgia is a fault state for insurance purposes, meaning you will file a claim with a liable party’s insurer following an accident as opposed to your own
Filing a Claim with the Insurance Company in Augusta
Filing insurance claims is one of the top ways injury victims recover compensation for their personal injuries in Augusta. However, dealing with the insurance company is often far more difficult than many injury victims realize.
Fortunately, your personal injury attorney will be prepared to step in and handle the insurance company on your behalf. Do not be surprised if the insurance company attempts to take advantage of you by:
- Making you an insultingly low settlement offer
- Attempting to manipulate a statement you gave
- Trying to place unwarranted blame on you
- Denying your claim in bad faith
- Delaying the processing of your claim
Important Details About Insurance Settlements
There are also many misconceptions regarding how insurance settlements work. Many injury victims assume an insurance settlement is going to cover their damages in full. However, this is rarely the case.
Insurance settlements are only going to cover the types and amounts of damages purchased by the policyholder. If the policyholder purchased the bare minimum amount of coverage, your damages are likely to exceed this limit. This means any remaining losses will need to be sought after through a civil lawsuit against the liable party.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Compensation for Victims of Personal Injuries in Augusta
When someone else is responsible for causing your injuries, you should not be stuck covering the costs. You have the right to be compensated for both economic and non-economic damages. Some of the most frequently awarded losses in Augusta personal injury claims include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Property damages
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of future potential earnings
Contact an Augusta Personal Injury Attorney
When another party’s negligence is a cause of your injuries, but you do not know where to turn for help, reach out to our dedicated Augusta personal injury attorneys at Barrios Virgüez.
Our firm is proud to offer risk-free consultations to injury victims across Augusta and nearby cities. Take advantage of this opportunity when you complete our online contact form or call our office to get started on your case as soon as today.