Bicycle accidents have been known to produce life-threatening injuries. When a bicyclist is struck by a motor vehicle, their entire life could be turned upside down. If you have been seriously injured in a bike wreck, you may be able to hold the at-fault party accountable with help from a top-rated Augusta bicycle accident lawyer.
Contact an experienced Augusta personal injury lawyer at Barrios Virgüez for a free consultation today. You will finally have the opportunity to make the liable party pay. We can further discuss your potential options for financial recovery and what to expect next from the claims process.
When to Sue for Bicycle Accident Injuries in Augusta
Bicycle accident injuries are often catastrophic. It is not unusual for car accident victims to suffer life-threatening injuries. However, it is important to note that it is not a requirement for you to suffer a life-threatening injury if you hope to file an insurance claim or civil lawsuit.
The type of injury you suffer will not determine your grounds for a case. The ways your life has been affected by the accident and your resulting injuries, however, will. There are some types of bicycle accident injuries Barrios Virgüez will sue for more frequently in Augusta than others.
Common Injuries to Sue For
It may not always be clear whether you have grounds for a claim. Remember, it is the impact of your injuries, not the injury itself that gives grounds for a lawsuit or insurance claim. Some of the most common injuries bicycle accident victims include:
- Emotional injuries – This could include depression, anxiety, nightmares, flashbacks, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, agoraphobia, and other conditions stemming from emotional trauma
- Internal injuries – This could include internal bleeding, organ failure, lacerations that lead to sepsis, and other invisible injuries you may not immediately notice in the aftermath of your bicycle accident
- Physical trauma – Bicycle accident victims have been known to suffer broken and fractured bones, road rash, loss of limbs, traumatic brain injuries, back injuries, paralysis, and other critical physical injuries
If you suffered a type of injury that we did not list above, you could still have grounds for a case. Keep in mind that the impact your injuries have had on your life will be the deciding factor as to whether you have grounds for a case. You can find out more about what your next steps should be when you contact your bicycle accident attorney in Augusta, GA for help.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Augusta, call 678-888-2222
Common Causes of Augusta Bicycle Accidents
To recover the compensation you are entitled to, your attorney will need to figure out who is responsible for causing your bicycle accident. You might think the answer is obvious, but in many bicycle accident cases, liability is not always clear. Some of the more common causes of bicycle accidents in Augusta include:
- Negligent driving – Any type of unsafe driving could be considered negligence. Some examples include distracted driving, drunk driving, drowsy driving, drugged driving, driving while fatigued, aggressive driving, and certain types of traffic violations, including speeding, tailgating, road rage, failure to stop, failure to use a turn signal, and failure to yield to the right of way.
- Dangerous road conditions – When the roads are dangerous, anyone traveling them could be at risk for injury. Examples of dangerous road conditions could include missing street signs, lack of stop lights or street lamps, potholes, lack of bicycle lanes or crosswalks, unsecured road construction zones, and other road hazards.
- Defective or malfunctioning parts – If a part on your bicycle or a motor vehicle is defective or malfunctions, the risk of injury is high. Although parts can become worn out, when the parts in question are inherently defective, you might have grounds for a civil claim.
After a thorough investigation, we will know more about how your injuries occurred. We will secure evidence to support your case while we investigate. This way, we can identify the at-fault party.
Augusta Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 678-888-2222
How to Hold the Liable Party Accountable
To recover maximum compensation for your damages, you will need to prove that someone else is responsible for causing your bicycle accident injuries. The type of bicycle accident you were involved in will give your attorney a better idea of who could be at fault for your injuries. For example, if you were struck by a negligent driver, that driver could be held accountable for your injuries.
If malfunctioning parts caused your injuries, auto parts designers and manufacturers, motor vehicle dealerships, maintenance technicians, and safety inspectors could share liability. Your attorney will need to prove liability based on a preponderance of the evidence. The evidence we introduce at trial will need to show the jury that the defendant is more than likely responsible for causing your bicycle accident injuries.
How Shared Fault Could Influence Your Compensation
Sharing liability is one of the top reasons more bicycle accident victims do not pursue their cases. When you are partially responsible for causing your bicycle accident injuries, you may be hesitant to call a bicycle accident lawyer in Augusta for help. However, sharing liability will not bar you from recovering compensation for your damages unless your portion of fault exceeds 49% under O.C.G.A. §51-11-7.
If you share liability for your bicycle accident injuries, you can expect your claim to be reduced by your percentage of fault. Do not be surprised if the defense attempts to place unwarranted blame on you. It is one of the only ways they may be able to escape liability in your case.
The Value of Your Augusta Bicycle Accident Claim
Recovering fair compensation after being involved in a bicycle accident is crucial. Your bicycle accident injuries may have a substantial impact on your life for years to come, so taking into consideration how your life may continue to be affected by your injuries is essential. To accurately calculate the value of your personal injury claim, you can rely on your bicycle accident attorney to categorize your damages as being either economic or non-economic.
Economic damages will include every single financial loss related to your injuries. Not only should you be compensated for the time you took off of work to heal from your injuries, but when you paid out-of-pocket expenses or your injuries will prevent you from being able to continue earning a living, these losses should also be considered. Additionally, when your bicycle accident injuries have a lasting impact on your life, requiring substantial medical treatment well into the future, these costs should also be factored in.
Non-economic damages do not have a financial worth. This makes them more difficult to quantify, and since they encompass every way your life has been affected by your injuries, excluding monetary damages, they need to be accurately calculated when reviewing the value of your claim. Examples of non-economic damages could include pain and suffering, reduced quality of life, loss of consortium, psychological distress, and disfigurement or skin scarring, to name a few.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Speak with a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Augusta, GA Today
After being involved in a bicycle accident, filing a lawsuit may be the furthest thing from your mind. However, when you retain a compassionate Augusta bicycle accident attorney to handle the legal details of your case, you can focus on healing. At Barrios Virgüez, our team is here to help you get the most out of your case.
Our in-depth investigation will reveal liability, and we will work tirelessly to bring the culpable party to justice. Start working on your insurance and civil claims as soon as today. Fill out our convenient contact form or call our office to schedule your no-cost, risk-free consultation.