Bicycle accidents have been known to produce life-threatening injuries. When a bicyclist is struck by a motor vehicle, their entire life could be turned upside down. If you have been seriously injured in a bicycle accident, you may be able to hold the at-fault party accountable.
Contact an experienced Augusta bicycle accident lawyer at Barrios & Virguez for a free consultation today. We can further discuss your potential options for financial recovery and what to expect next from the claims process.
Bicycle Accident Injuries to Sue For in Augusta
Bicycle accident injuries are often catastrophic. It is not unusual for bicycle accident victims to suffer life-threatening injuries. However, it is important to note that it is not a requirement for you to suffer a life-threatening injury if you hope to file an insurance claim or civil lawsuit.
The type of injury you suffer will not determine your grounds for a case. The ways your life has been affected by the accident and your resulting injuries, however, will. There are some types of bicycle accident injuries we sue for more frequently in Augusta than others. Some of these injuries can include:
- Emotional injuries – This could include depression, anxiety, nightmares, flashbacks, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), panic disorder, agoraphobia, and other conditions stemming from emotional trauma
- Internal injuries – This could include internal bleeding, organ failure, lacerations that lead to sepsis, and other invisible injuries you may not immediately notice in the aftermath of your bicycle accident
- Physical trauma – Bicycle accident victims have been known to suffer broken and fractured bones, road rash, loss of limbs, traumatic brain injuries, back injuries, paralysis, and other critical physical injuries
If you suffered a type of injury that we did not list above, you could still have grounds for a case. Keep in mind that the impact your injuries have had on your life will be the deciding factor as to whether you have grounds for a case. You can find out more about what your next steps should be when you contact your bicycle accident attorney in Augusta for help.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Augusta, call 678-888-2222
Common Causes of Augusta Bicycle Accidents
To recover the compensation you are entitled to, your attorney will need to figure out who is responsible for causing your bicycle accident. You might think the answer is obvious, but in many bicycle accident cases, liability is not always clear. Some of the more common causes of bicycle accidents in Augusta include:
- Negligent driving – Any type of unsafe driving could be considered negligence. Some examples include distracted driving, drunk driving, drowsy driving, drugged driving, driving while fatigued, aggressive driving, and certain types of traffic violations including speeding, tailgating, road rage, failure to stop, failure to use a turn signal, and failure to yield to the right of way.
- Dangerous road conditions – When the roads are dangerous, anyone traveling them could be at risk for injury. Examples of dangerous road conditions could include missing street signs, lack of stop lights or street lamps, potholes, lack of bicycle lanes or crosswalks, unsecured road construction zones, and other road hazards.
- Defective or malfunctioning parts – If a part on your bicycle or a motor vehicle is defective or malfunctions, the risk of injury is high. Although parts can become worn out, when the parts in question are inherently defective, you might have grounds for a civil claim.
Augusta Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 678-888-2222
How to Hold a Liable Party Accountable
To recover maximum compensation for your damages, you will need to prove that someone else is responsible for causing your bicycle accident injuries. The type of bicycle accident you were involved in will give your attorney a better idea of who could be at fault for your injuries. For example, if you were struck by a negligent driver, that driver could be held accountable for your injuries.
If malfunctioning parts caused your injuries, auto parts designers and manufacturers, motor vehicle dealerships, maintenance technicians, and safety inspectors could share liability. Your attorney will need to prove liability based on a preponderance of the evidence. The evidence we introduce at trial will need to show the jury that the defendant is more than likely responsible for causing your bicycle accident injuries.
We will need to prove the four elements of negligence have been met as follows:
- The defendant owed the victim of duty of care.
- The defendant made a decision or failed to make a decision that breached that duty of care.
- The defendant’s decision or lack of decision caused the victim’s injuries or damages.
- The victim suffered considerable emotional, financial, or physical damages as a result of the defendant’s breach of the duty of care.
Click to contact our Augusta Personal Injury Lawyers today
How Shared Fault Could Influence Your Compensation
Sharing liability is one of the top reasons more bicycle accident victims do not pursue their cases. When you are partially responsible for causing your bicycle accident injuries, you may be hesitant to call a lawyer for help. However, sharing liability will not bar you from recovering compensation for your damages unless your portion of fault exceeds 49% under O.C.G.A. §51-11-7.
If you share liability for your bicycle accident injuries, you can expect your claim to be reduced by your percentage of fault. Do not be surprised if the defense attempts to place unwarranted blame on you. It is one of the only ways they may be able to escape liability in your case. Your attorney will be by your side to ensure that fault is accurately evaluated in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Speak with a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Augusta Today
After being involved in a bicycle accident, filing a lawsuit may be the furthest thing from your mind. However, when you retain a compassionate Augusta bicycle accident attorney to handle the legal details of your case, you can focus on healing. At Barrios & Virguez, our team is here to help you get the most out of your case.
Our in-depth investigation will reveal liability, and we will work tirelessly to bring the culpable party to justice. Start working on your insurance and civil claims as soon as today when you fill out our convenient contact form or call our office to schedule your no-cost, risk-free consultation.
Call or text 678-888-2222 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form