Barrios Virgüez’s Young Hispanic Leader Scholarship offers $2,500 in financial assistance to students anticipating or returning to college. This scholarship celebrates students’ successful development of leadership skills alongside their academic success.
Students submitting their scholarship applications for consideration are encouraged to elaborate on the challenges that their time in a leadership position foisted upon them. Barrios Virgüez wants to uphold the efforts of a student who had their abilities, perspective, and/or perseverance challenged while in the service of others.
The Young Hispanic Leader Scholarship is open to any undergraduate or graduate student who can meet the following criteria:
- You have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- You are enrolled in or accepted at an accredited college, university, or graduate school in the United States
- You agree to the scholarship terms and conditions
- Submit the necessary application materials, including an unofficial transcript and scholarship essay
How Do I Apply?
Please review the eligibility requirements carefully and then craft an essay on the scholarship topic provided below.
Once your essay is complete:
- Fill out the application form on this page
- Upload a copy of your unofficial transcript
- Upload a copy of your scholarship essay
- Submit proof of enrollment/acceptance to an accredited college/ university/ graduate school (Student ID; Letter of acceptance; etc.)
Scholarship Essay Topic
To apply for the scholarship, please share a chapter of your life in which you took on a leadership role (as a basketball captain, volunteering leader, dance group leader, etc.). Write a 1,000-1,500 word essay about your experience, in which you address the following points:
- What were some of the main challenges you faced in your journey, and how did you overcome them?
- Which are the most valuable lessons you learned from this experience?
- And last, but not least, how did the experience influence your educational and/or professional aspirations?
These questions are meant as guiding prompts. We encourage you to elaborate beyond these points in your application.
The new deadline to apply is December 15, 2023.
Applications received after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
After the deadline, all submissions will be reviewed by our scholarship selection committee. Depending on the number of applications we receive, the decision process can take anywhere from one to three months.
We regret that, for legal reasons, we are unable to accept calls, emails, or other communication regarding the scholarship, or answer any questions, other than those submitted here. All the necessary details about this scholarship can be found above. We will make sure to contact you in case we need any further information.
2023 is the first year we are offering our annual Young Hispanic Leader Scholarship, but future winners (maybe even you!) will be listed here. All winners will be interviewed for an announcement blog post and press release.
Terms & Conditions
The Young Hispanic Leader Scholarship is awarded annually by Barrios Virgüez.
Young Hispanic Leader Scholarship
All applicants to this scholarship must meet the eligibility requirements as laid out on the scholarship application page, including:
- Applicant must be enrolled at a college, university, or graduate school
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old at the age of enrollment
- Applicant must have residency in the United States OR proof of work/school authorization
- Applicant must be in good academic standing
- Applicant must submit some personal information, including name, contact information, proof of enrollment
- Applicant must author an original essay on the scholarship essay topic provided
- Applicant must detail their experience in a leadership position and the challenges related to their service in a 1,000 to 1,500-word essay
Anyone who meets the following conditions is NOT eligible to apply:
- Employees or children of employees of the Young Hispanic Leader Scholarship
- Past recipients of the Young Hispanic Leader Scholarship
- Applicants who are unable/unwilling to be interviewed by a representative of Barrios Virgüez if they were to be awarded a scholarship
- Applicants who submit the same essay for multiple scholarships
Selection & Award Notification Process
All applications must be received before the deadline supplied on the application page. Incomplete applications or those received after the submission deadline will not be considered.
A scholarship selection committee will evaluate applications. Age, race, religion, gender, national origin, familial status, or other protected classes will have no influence on the committee’s decision.
Due to legal reasons and the high volume of applications we receive, we are not able to answer any questions regarding your application status nor will we be able to provide individual notification to non-winners.
The winners of the Scholarship will be notified via email and an announcement will be made on Barrios Virgüez’s blog as well as via a press release.
The Scholarship award will be mailed directly to the student’s college or university. Instructions for mailing the check will be requested at the time of the award.
Your personal information will not be given, sold, or distributed to third parties.
We reserve the right to use the winners’ names and photos in any announcement or communication related to the Scholarships, on Barrios Virgüez’s website, in marketing materials, or in social media posts.
By submitting your application, you agree to our public use of your name and image.